Advantage of Silicone Hydrogel Lenses over Hydrogel Lenses
Silicone hydrogel and hydrogel are the two main types of materials used to make contact lenses.
The main advantage that silicone hydrogel has over standard hydrogel, is that silicone hydrogel lenses are highly prosperous and absorbent. They allow up to five times more oxygen to permeate through the contact lens and reach the surface and cornea of the eye in comparison to standard hydrogel contact lenses. If oxygen cannot reach the cornea, it causes a condition referred to as hypoxia. This can lead to blurry vision, red eyes, loss of visual clarity and increase the chances of infections. Silicone hydrogel lenses offer an increased level of comfort and hydration throughout the day when wearing lenses.
Silicone hydrogel lenses can be worn more comfortably for longer periods of time. This is especially helpful for those who live actively lifestyles, spend long periods of the day looking at a screen, or who are easily susceptible to dry eyes.
Advantages of Silicone Hydrogel Lenses
- Silicone lenses has higher Oxygen permeability, allowing more oxygen to pass
- They are more healthier since they allow 5 times more oxygen supply to pass through them and increased oxygen transmission results in better overall Eye Health.
- More resistance to protein deposits
- Less drying of the Lenses
- Lower risk of Eye Infection